Who is a Periodontist?
Periodontics is the speciality field of dentistry that relates to the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of periodontal disease as well as all other forms of oral inflammation and the placement of dental implants
A Periodontist is a dentist who has undergone a further three years of intense formal training beyond their time in dental school. This training focuses on the treatment of all gum and root issues.
This means that Periodontists are capable of treating a variety of conditions that range in complexity including extensive procedures and treating and preventing gum disease in all stages. Periodontists are trained experts in treating gum and root issues and are recognized by the Australian Dental Association.
When you need to see a Periodontist?
As mentioned above Periodontists specialize in managing exceptionally complicated oral problems, especially treating the gums and the roots of teeth. A periodontist can help you if:
- You are suffering from Gingivitis,
- You require gingival grafting,
- You require an oral biopsy,
- You require bone grafting of the jaw,
- You need your wisdom teeth extracted; or
- You have been referred for an extraction.
Periodontists are capable of assisting you with a variety of gum and root treatments and are specialists in making sure that your mouth is the healthiest it can be.
- Root planning
- Root surface debridement
- Dental implants
- Oral inflammation treatment
- Gingivitis treatment
- Periodontitis treatment
- Cosmetic periodontal surgery
- Bone grafting
- Gingival grafting
- Biopsies; and
- Extraction of all teeth, including wisdom teeth.